Thursday, February 1, 2007

Cheese it! It's the Fuzz!

My title has absolutely nothing to do with this post, I have just always wanted an excuse to use that line and since I never find myself in such situations, here it appears.

The elements project is a little bit frightening. I have a game plan, I know what I want to do with both Earth and Fire, but now some new issues have come about. After reading some other people's blogs I now see that Rapidograph ink is hard to come by in Wilmington. I think using sharpies might give the same effect I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.

I want to keep this simple, not only because making it complicated might drive me crazy, but because I think the elements in and of themselves are simple and the same, no matter where you find them. For earth I want to see if I can incorporate the greenish tint from the scratching of the emulsion into it. I don't know if that'll happen on our clear leader, but I guess I'll find out. I'll cover the strip with varying intensities of brown and scratch away at it like the cracked earth, hopefully letting the green come through as well as some white (which I'm going to say represents rock...like granite).

For fire I had a little bit different idea. When I thought about it what came to my mind were these little balls of fire. Almost like polka dots of flame. I think that several red, yellow, and orange dots that grow and "explode" on the film will work nicely. Of course, I don't know how anything is really going to look until I see it up on the screen. Of the two, I'm probably most looking forward to seeing fire.

I'm going out of town this weekend so tonight I'll be trying to get the majority of work done. Using sharpies instead of ink does make me nervous because I'm not sure if it's going to show through like I want it to. Hopefully when I get started it'll become clearer as to whether or not it's going to work.

~Sloan

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

At first, I thought it was a bummer that the inks were hard to find in stores, but the more I read students' blogs, like yours, the more I realize that you all are coming up with creative alternatives, like the one you mention for Earth. Looks like we'll have some films that use very different techniques. Good times.